Thursday, April 23, 2015

Surriddle Me This

Thought I'd drop my latest creative writing assignment, albeit nearly a week after I wrote it.  The theme for this particular assignment was surrealism and I drew my inspiration from a combination of digging in the dirt and a painting entitled "Jet Stream" the teacher used as a free write prompt.  Without further ado, I give you:

Chop and Caw

Chop at the roots
watch the birds scatter
chop at the roots
feel blood splatter
say goodbye to those
you hardly know
make them sorry
to see you go
uproot the tree
to set yourself free
rushing waters
swirling winds
shake leaves
like a gentle breeze
sturdy limbs sinewed fiber
swats the cawing crow
seeking refuge within
the tree's ear
Be gone
nefarious crow
Take thy deeds
and roost elsewhere
not here
not in my air
not that I care
who you disturb
blue skies swallow
you crow in ashen grey
rain dead embers upon you
leave you to gasp and wheeze
trampled under root
under boot
under tree

under me

No comments:

Post a Comment